2020-04-07: This site is going to be decommissioned and shut down on 2020-07-01. Please copy and archive any data you wish to keep before that date.
If you were registered and logged in, you could join this project.
Message from the owner(s)
Welcome to HOOT Project site!
The goal of Hoot is to provide integrated processes and tools to
open software projects, improving the weaker areas of open software.
The scope of Hoot is to create a comprehensive solution for open
software development teams struggling with process issues.
The motivation for starting the Hoot
project is described in a short essay.
The high-level features of Hoot are:
- Provide convenient means for open projects to improve process.
- Provide a generic set of organizational procedures, tailored to
open projects that can be further tailored to each specific project.
- Drastically increase the amount of visibility that developers and
any other interested parties have into the entire software development
effort, including procedures, requirements, architecture, planning,
issue tracking, quality assurance, configuration management and testing.
- A modular architecture that can easily be extended as new process
areas are added.
- Not specific to any design techniques, although it will be
possible, and even encouraged, for modules to be created that are
specific to certain design techniques.
- Makes following a mature process a convenience, not a hassle. We
do most of the hard work for you.
The high-level assumptions for Hoot are
- A GUI built on the OpenOffice UNO technology that integrates with
an existing OpenOffice installation.
- A text or command line UI written in Python.
- A Zope application for each project.
- A Zope application for each organization, that is the parent of
the project instances.
- A single organzational level instance to be shared between all
free software projects.
A list of features that will be included in the first version of Hoot
- Requirements management.
- Software planning.
- Software analysis.
- Automated testing (or at least tracking and reporting of
- Collaborative documentation management.
Why is it called Hoot? Because the owl stands for maturity and wisdom.
Also it's a catchy name with lots of potential for branding and a mascot.